Jun 20, 2007

Cairns-Whitsundays-Brisbane-Fraser Island-Surfers Paradise



Maki and I left Canberra on June 8th just in the nic of time to catch our bus to Sydney where we had to catch a flight to Cairns and start our Connections tour to Whitsundays. The whole day was a little crazy because I had to write a final right before we had to catch the bus...not the smartest move on my part but thankfully the final went smoothly and after it was finished all that was left was another Aussie adventure.

The tour started off great, the first day we were jammed packed with things to do.
First we headed to the village of Kuranda, where I got to hug a Koala! So cute! Her name was princess (Nice coincidence hey dad?) I wanted to keep her!


We also got to feed Kangeroos and Wallibies...

Next we took the skyrail that glides above the tropical rainforest. It was said to be one of the longest in the world...very pretty! That ocean blows me away everytime I see it...


That night we were invited to join in the Tjapukai experience. First, we went outside for a "fire show" where danced and sang, there was a big explosion, ooooo's and ahhh's, it was great fun. I'm sure its no surprise by now, but the best part was the huge buffet dinner with entertaining Aboriginal dancing and stories... it was really something to see.

The next day Maki and I decided to check out the Minjin Swing. Its a multi-person swing where you fall from 45 meters to 1 meter at a speed of 120 km/hr. The coolest part was we got to pull the cord that lets us go... IT WAS CRAZY!


Can you see us up there?

After my body stopped shaking and my stomach came out of my throat we hit up Cairns for an afternoon of sunbathing! I really wish we had more time to spend there because it was an absolutley, beautiful place!





The next morning we left stupidly early to hit the road for the amazing Whitsundays. It was so early we actually saw the sunrise...

Along the way we passed through the small community of Ingham and Innisfail and the coastal village of Cardwell which overlooks one of the largest island National Parks, Hinchinbrook Island. We stayed for a nice pic-nic lunch curtosy of our friendly tour guides then piled back into the coach and carried on our way toward Airlie beach.

Once we got there, 11 of us were dropped off at the Abel Point Marina for the two day/two night live aboard sailing tour. We didn't waste any time, we picked up our stinger suits and boraded the Broomstick. Being that I had never sailed before, I was pretty excited that the crew was so willing to teach us and let us participate. We had beautiful weather to which was a bonus... sunny and windy!

The Broomstick!





The second day we headed out to Whitehaven beach where the sand was said to be around 99% silica...the whitest, softest sand EVER. We spent a couple hours there just hanging out and sunbathing. It almost didn't look real, like I was staring at a big postcard!


After Whitehaven we sailed out to a nice little bay for a snorkel. I felt like I was swimming in a big tropical aquarium. The fish and coral were so pretty, some of the fish would swim right up to you! I really wanted to see a clown fish and right when we were waiting for the dingy to come get us we looked down saw a couple swimming around... that just made my day! Totally inspired me to get a tropical fish tank...but after my gold fish have passed on of course, I don't want to make them jealous.


The next day we spent mostly sailing around the Whitsunday Islands. We stopped for a short hike and saw some Aboriginal cave drawings. It was a nice little break from the
boat...


Unfortunaltely, as the saying goes all good things do come to an end and we had to say our goodbyes. The skipper dropped us off at Long Island where we met up with the rest of our tour group.

The resort!

Presumably the last night with the gang!



The next day was a sad one as it was time for Maki and I to say our goodbyes to the tour group. The bus dropped us off at Airlie Beach and Maki and I where left to fend for ourselves... we walked around and found a hostel to drop off our stuff. We had originally planned to spend a day and a half laying on the beach in the sun but the weather wasn't cooperating so we walked around town for a bit instead and took a nice long nap in the hostel to try and rejuvinate. When we woke up we met a friendly Aussie who invited us down to the Hostel pub for a couple of beers.




It turned into a long night full of crazy shinatigans! The next morning I was forced to crawl out of bed far far to early and catch a flight to Brisbane... all I have to say is who ever invented Gravol is a smart, smart man/woman...

When we arrived in Brisbane we walked around to find a realtively cheap hostel and get a good nights sleep before heading out to Fraser Island in the morning.

The tour started from Brisbane, so we had to start bright and early and drive about two hours to Fraser Island.


Our 4 wheel drive hot rod! For some reason the tour guide wouldn't let me drive... I couldn't understand why... HAHA

The ferry to Fraser.

Driving around Fraser.


Our first stop was Eli Creek where we had a quick bite to eat and walked through this nifty fresh water creek.



We continued on our way and stopped at this cool cliff where we sat and watch whales, dolphins and a shark swim by.


WILD DINGO!

Next we headed to the Maheno ship wreck. It was beached from a freak storm.




After the ship wreck we headed to the resort where we were staying and got ready for our big buffet dinner, it was delicious. After supper we hung out in the lounge for a bit but hit the sack early because we had another very full day.
Bright and early the next morning we all piled back into the 4X4 and drove to the rainforest. Fraser Island is the biggest sand island in the world and yet this beautiful rainforest in the middle of the island continues to grow. I thought this was the coolest part of the whole Island. It really blows you away, all the different types of vegetation. I loved it!




After the rainforest we drove to Lake Boomanjin. This lake is the largest perched lake in the world where again I got to bury my feet in 99% silica sand! Itwas a beautiful fresh water lake, so clean but VERY cold! Maki and I promised our tour guide that we'd go in... so we kept to our word and ran in before we could change our minds! We hung out for a couple of hours and played some fresbie, it was beautiful. I wish we had more time there!






We also stopped at the Tea Tree Lake. This entire lake is surrounded by tea tree trees. Tea Tree is known for its antiseptic properties which can help to soothe sunburns, rashes, acne, insect bites, ect. Its really good for your skin and you feel amazing when you get out of the water!



Unfortunaltey, that was it for Fraser Island. It was time for us to leave and head back to Brisbane. But first we stopped at Rainbow beach for lunch and ice cream!



The tour guide told us he had a surprise for us on the way home. Of course he had to mention it the first day we where there so the whole trip I kept asking for hints to see if I could guess... the anticipation was killing me!

I have to admit I was a little disappointed when our surprised turned out to be the biggest Ginger factory in the world... HA HA Okay... it was kinda cool... I think I had my hopes up a little to high though. HAHA



Maki and I were dropped off at the train station in Brisbane and checked back into the hostel we stayed in the night before.
The next morning we jumped on a train to Surfers Paradise. We really didn't have a clue where we were going and we were trying to figure it out with this crappy, free, pamphlet map. Luckliy, this really nice man asked us if we needed help and told us exactly where to get off... Australians really are amazing people!



Surfers Paradise was great! We stayed in the nicest hostel and to our surprise we ran into everybody on our Connections tour! It was great to see them all again.



We spent a day and a half in Surfers Paradise and thankfully the sun was shining for most of it. But our adventure had come to an end.
Maki and I had a an absolute blast she was a real pleasure to travel with!

Once I got back to Canberra I packed up my room... said all my teary goodbyes and headed home. I really did meet the most amazing people... It was hard to say goodbye to my new family.
I loved Australia and will definatley be back one day. I had the time of my life and it was an experience that I will be forever greatful for.
Anyway, thats it for me...thanks for reading! Take Care everyone!

No comments: