"CAUTION...Route may involve fording creek and will involve climbing over boulders."
This past weekend the outdoors club organized a three day canyoning trip. We had originally planned on going to the Blue Mountains but the forecast called for thunder showers so we adjusted the plan a little and headed two hours out of Canberra to Bungonia canyon. We left camp at 9:00am Saturday morning for our exciting excursion, not realizing what we were actually getting ourselves into.
Unfortunately, the weather was crap and the rain made everything so slippery and very difficult. The first abseil was a little nerve racking... especially when one of the leaders kept questioning whether she tied the ropes right or not... geeees.
The trip started out fun and exciting. But about two hours in it started to rain and walking along the rocks became very tricky. Dionne ended up taking a nasty spill and sprained her ankle. Plus, to make matters worse while we were eating lunch rocks started falling on us and one hit her right in the shoulder. At this point we all became more worried... The worst part is that Dionne had only one option... pain killers and continuing on. That girl is such a trooper!
We abseiled down from the very top and had to swim across this lovely pool... Everytime we had to swim I thought about all the fun little creatures that where living in the water. And sure enough while I was standing at the edge of some rocks an eel swam by my foot... ha ha ha... After that I was so freaked out... It was like two feet long....
After the three abseils were done we had to hike out of the canyon... but unfortunately it started to get dark. Thats when I started to really think about my life and whether I had lived it to the fullest. I have never done anything so dangerous in my entire life. Luckily, some of us had torches (flashlights)... I had a reading light clipped onto my shirt that we shared between three people... haha... so ridiculous. The scariest part is that the only person that knew where he was going could only see five feet in front of him. It was terrible. Then after two hours of walking and swimming we saw the most beautiful thing... a piece of red tape. I think that I am in love with red tape! This amazing piece of tape marked the trail up and out of the canyon. Yes I said up... We had to walk/climb... in the dark.... 300m out of that stupid canyon.
I have never, ever been more afraid! I would look down and all I could see was darkness. One false step and you were kangaroo food.
After 15 hours we finally made it to the end... it was 12:09am and I was alive with only a few minor scrapes and bruises.
The next morning we went to the lookouts to see what we did...
What an amazing experience.




4 comments:
Hi Cindy. Isn't it good to know that you can survive when things get tough. Love ya, Mom
That's my Princess. I wish I was there with you. Try not to have to much fun, after all you are at University. We miss you and remember to STUDY.
Gramma and Grampa Mush just saw your Blog. They are on the way to the airport to catch a flight to see you. They think you are having to much dangerous fun. Granpa wants to go on your Canyon climb and a swim with the seaweed sharks. He said he will protect you (but not Granma)from the sharks.Granpa wants to know if you need money. He won't send any he just wants to know!!!!!HA HA
Uncle Dwain says Hi and you should be spending more time studing and less of your dads money!!!!!!!
Granma wishs she could be there to protect you from the Sharks. She can't wait for your next postcard.
Gosh how energetic you must be!
You have some fantastic photos to treasure of your adventures.
Post a Comment